Are we losing our Punjabi language?

My parents have always emphasized the importance of speaking Punjabi in our home. Their reasoning was that we would have the opportunity to learn English in our schools, but may never get the time to learn Punjabi again. My father was so passionate about creating an opportunity for children being raised in the West to be taught Punjabi, that he opened the first Punjabi School at the Gurdwara we attended in our town. I was grateful to my parents for sending me to the school, because it allowed me to communicate with my grandparents, and other elders who didnt speak English, and maintain my relationships with them.

Often the older generation is heard saying our language, and thus an aspect of our heritage, is being lost on the present generation. There are many young people who attend Gurdwara but have no idea what is being said. We have Gutkas with English translations. Weve become quite tech-savvy in our Gurdwara now too, where we have projectors displaying the English translations of Shabads. We watch Punjabi movies with english subtitles. In India, even Punjabis are speaking Hindi now.

Is it the responsibility of parents to teach their children or send them to Punjabi school to learn? Or is it an individuals responsibility? Some people take the initiative to learn Punjabi on their own, either through courses available at University, or from the growing number of online courses.

How can we preserve the Punjabi language?

bookmark bookmark bookmark bookmark bookmark bookmark bookmark bookmark bookmark bookmark bookmark bookmark
tabs-top

179 Responses to “Are we losing our Punjabi language?”

1. Sewa says:

Guys, ashamed as I am to say this, Sikhs may be linked with Punjabi, but here in the west the last two posts might as well be in Chinese…Surely the future is English, or Punjabi in English letters?

2. Sewa says:

This website is in English..we all communicate in English..why not forget Punjabi, and focus on using English to save Sikhism? Afterall can we frankly say anyone under 40 in the west understand Punjabi, let alone read and write it??

Go elsewhere Roop, this place is for Sikhs, not liberals

3. Sewa says:

Go elsewhere Roop, this place is for Sikhs, not liberals

4. bhai says:

I said I would not post elsewhere but what is the rationale for advocating the end of people using Punjabi? Gurubani translated into English is not equivalent, meanings are lost. Using only English will result in sikhs being liberals in the classic sense. The philosophic developments in English include the liberal tradition. The language used to read and write philosophy will influence the philosophic traditionswe use. There is much to employ in that tradition, but to use English only would result in the loss of the full range of the philosophhy of which Gurubani is s part of

5. bhai says:

My guess is you would not mind if Sikhs became liberals, in the sense of sikhs finding their philosophical home in the western (for lack of a better term) philosophical tradition. Do you think the loss of the full use of the philosophic tradition in which Gurubani sits would be significant as a loss?

6. bhai says:

7. bhai says:

8. Sewa says:

all I know is hardly any of even understand punjabi..my father who is from there admits he does not understand waht the parthi says when reading the Guru Granth Sahib…a good translation will capture all…Roop is unrealistic if he thinks we will all learn a language we don't use…what is your view on that Bhai Ji?..don't get me wrong, but how many of us use Punjabi, other than a language to swear in or speak to our elders?

9. Sewa says:

10. bhai says:

A lot of people know at least some Punjabi and a lot of people want and are learning, and a lot of new parents are teaching their kids, even if their own skills are spotty. St a time when most parents are scrambling to expose their kids to multiple languages moving away from Punjabi is exactly the opposite of where most people are. Learning a workable knowledge of gurumukhi is a matter of months for someone familiar with Punjabi. The amount of knowledge that would be lost without a continued familiarity with Punjabi Is significant.

11. iSingh says:

@ Sewa et al

"Go elsewhere Roop, this place is for Sikhs, not liberals"

And I thought being Sikh meant to be liberal / progressive… looks like our after moulding "the state of being Sikh" into western dogma of religion, we are now incorporating rights and the lefts of it. Or maybe I am using the wrong dictionary.

I have noticed that after a while all Sikhism affiliated blogs turn focus to the impending Sikh apocalypse. Can someone please point me to a forum which carries discussion about economic opportunities, education, literature, problems of cultural adjustment instead of my Sikhi is better than your Sikhi. Maybe something which is more around Punjabi ethnicity, I think.

"why not forget Punjabi, and focus on using English to save Sikhism?"

Great thought and I think you are right in your assessment that Punjabi language in is going down the drain – not only in west, but even in Punjab. And to my mind the spiritual crutch of Sikh"ism" is going the same route.

As regards to saving Sikhism – unfortunately as a non-missionary religion there is no auto-preservation mechanism built in unlike Islam, Christianity etc. I think my kids and their grand kids will feel proud of their Sikh identity if it answers all their questions about spiritual philosophy, and makes them feel proud of their heritage, which comes with – rich language, economically and politically strong Punjab, role models. Given an option, what second language would career conscious American parents suggest to their kids – Spanish? Japanese or Mandarin? Why? Similarly, there is competition of spiritual mind space out there – especially in west with so many options.

"Afterall can we frankly say anyone under 40 in the west understand Punjabi, let alone read and write it??"
    But they would have if a Punjabi work would have won a booker prize, or if a Punjabi movie had won Oscars for best foreign language film or if a paper written in Punjabi would have predicted the financial meltdown or if a software mogul would have made a speech in Punjabi or if Punjab was the fastest growing market in the world, or a mecca of technology or education, or a blog about "challenge ourselves to address the myriad of issues we face as individuals and as a community through a progressive lens, and reserve the right to rant, muse, and humor" was in Punjabi. They will not want to learn Punjabi if the script is only used ad nauseum for 1984, khalist@n, maryada palan discourses etc.

"Gurdwaras are now using lap tops to show the meaning of Gurbani in English"
    Gurdwaras will respond to the needs of their clientele. Using the same route, they will start delivering daily hukamnama on twitter soon.

"admits he does not understand what the parthi says when reading the Guru Granth Sahib"
    Knowledge of Punjabi is not sufficient to understand Gurbani or Sikh philosophy. The people I know who try to understand the texts learn Farsi, Arabic, Sanskrit and some mix of braj and khari boli to make sense of what all was composed.

@ bhai "Using only English will result in sikhs being liberals in the classic sense."
    Made my day :-D

12. bhai says:

13. iSingh says:

@ Sewa et al

"Go elsewhere Roop, this place is for Sikhs, not liberals"

"why not forget Punjabi, and focus on using English to save Sikhism?"

"Gurdwaras are now using lap tops to show the meaning of Gurbani in English"

Made my day :-D

14. ??? ?????? says:

????? ?? ??? ????? ????? ?????

???????? '? ?????? ??? ???? ????? ?? ?????? ???? ????

?? ????????? ??? ?? ????? ???? ??? 16 ??? ?????? ??? ??????

15. ??? ?????? says:

????????, 14 ????-????? ????? ????? ???-???? ?????? ??? ???????? ???? ???? ????? ??? ???-?????? ?????? ?? ???? ???????? ?????????? ??? ???? ??????? ???? ?? ?? ??? ?????? ??????

16. ????? ?? ??? ????? ????? ?????

???????? '? ?????? ??? ???? ????? ?? ?????? ???? ????

?? ????????? ??? ?? ????? ???? ??? 16 ??? ?????? ??? ??????

17. ??? ?????? says:

18. Sewa says:

being Punjabi and Being Sikh are not interchangable..look at 3HO.. A Punjabi can be Hindu, Muslim and Atheist. No one is born a Sikh, you become one…

• pnr says:

- religion/dharam is a birthright – there are families and lineages who have been Sikh from the very beginning, from the times of the Gurus – Sikh history/Punjabi language flows in their veins.

19. Sewa says:

20. CaliFamily says:

Excellent conversation! My contribution to it may be pretty basic, but here goes…my husband and I are Punjabi, but both of us were born and raised in the UK, US, and Canada. Our family histories and traditions have been passed down orally for many generations. The history of our villages, the origins of our surnames, and the wonderful stories filled with suspense, humor, and yes, occasional naughtiness…without understanding Punjabi, we will lose all of them, much like some Native Americans lost their cultural identity through the loss of their language. More importantly, we will (and in our case have somewhat already) lost our understanding of what it means to be Sikh because we really don't understand the scripture readings or kirtan without a translation. Making them widely available to Sikhs is a wonderful step in the right direction–in this age of technology, we should be able to use the tools our kids are most comfortable with to expose them to the language as much as possible. While I do believe it remains the parents' job to teach the language, I would love to see more after school program in our area offering classes for local kids.

21. iSingh says:

@ CaliFamily
    Send your kids to Punjab for 3-4 years of education. One, they'll probably have better education, second, they'll get a crash course in Punjabi and may develop a more comfortable sense of their identity.

22. CaliFamily says:

Excellent conversation! My contribution to it may be pretty basic, but here goes…my husband and I are Punjabi, but both of us were born and raised in the UK, US, and Canada. Our family histories and traditions have been passed down orally for many generations. The history of our villages, the origins of our surnames, and the wonderful stories filled with suspense, humor, and yes, occasional naughtiness…without understanding Punjabi, we will lose all of them, much like some Native Americans lost their cultural identity through the loss of their language. More importantly, we will (and in our case have somewhat already) lost our understanding of what it means to be Sikh because we really don’t understand the scripture readings or kirtan without a translation. Making them widely available to Sikhs is a wonderful step in the right direction–in this age of technology, we should be able to use the tools our kids are most comfortable with to expose them to the language as much as possible. While I do believe it remains the parents’ job to teach the language, I would love to see more after school program in our area offering classes for local kids.

23. iSingh says:

@ CaliFamily

24. Bahadar says:

I agree with ISingh

25. Bahadar says:

I agree with ISingh

26. sewa says:

Go to my name and link to see alternative debate in Pak

27. sewa says:

Go to my name and link to see alternative debate in Pak

28. Roop Dhillon says:

Yes we can preserve the language…

29. Roop Dhillon says:

Yes we can preserve the language…

30. Bhupi says:

Keep it up Roop. There are lot of ignorant people who don't love their MOTHER tongue due to whatever reasons. Its one of the sweetest languages, whether you hear gurbani or bhangra. I guess some folks have either discovered to REALLY enjoy 'ENGLISH' based gurbani in ragas or bhangra or heer : ). Mitti yaad aundi hai ki nahi ?

I live in US and was born outside Punjab so my parents taught me to read and write gurmukhi and I did my part by teaching them to my kids. As they say in ENGLISH, 'ignorance is bliss'. The sad story in the west is that, lot of sikhs won't teach their kids gurmukhi but will very proudly display their kids speaking spanish or french or other language.

We need to speak it at home to begin with. Everything else follows…

An 'amar chitra katha' like pictorial but gurmukhi based version is an ideal introduction for kids. And in the world of internet and 'You Tube', there's no dearth of spreading it easily.

31. Bhupi says:

We need to speak it at home to begin with. Everything else follows…

32. Roop Dhillon says:

Thanks Bhupi..maybe being a Western Sikh like me you might enjoy this story I just had published…well part 1…

33. Roop Dhillon says:

34. Satyajit says:

A few days ago Punjab government asked CBSE board to make Punjabi compulsory in the schools of Punjab.

What did the board do—-? Refused. They refused to make Punjabi compulsory in Punjab!!!!

It is unfair, absurd and stupid to not make Punjabi compulsory in schools.

Most important- where are the protests, where the people speaking out and fighting for Punjabi?

35. Satyajit says:

It is unfair, absurd and stupid to not make Punjabi compulsory in schools.

36. Satyajit says:

It is unfair, absurd and stupid to not make Punjabi compulsory in schools.

• Bahadar says:

they don't care!! U can see that if you follow the Punjabi Zubane thread…Punjabis are the stupidist people in the world

• Bahadar says:

• Satyajit says:

Punjabi's are not stupid, but ignorant of the discriminatory language policy.
        What can we do to rouse people's interest in their language? I feel very sad when, Punjabi is not given its rightful place in the land of its origin. Sad.

37. Satyajit says:

It is unfair, absurd and stupid to not make Punjabi compulsory in schools.

• Bahadar says:

• Bahadar says:

• Satyajit says:

Punjabi's are not stupid, but ignorant of the discriminatory language policy.

38. Pritpal says:

Clearly not, looking at the posts on " Punjabi Zubane"

39. Pritpal says:

Clearly not, looking at the posts on " Punjabi Zubane"

40. Ashar Hafeez Ghumman says:

It is a pitty that after partition, all the resources of Pakistan were given into the hands of Urdu speakers. So, whn people saw their officers speaking urdu, they started speaking urdu at home with their kids. they thght it will make their kids as educated as their officers or high class is neglecting the fact that they were being responsible of destroying punjabi and punjabi culture. And, when a nations forets her mother toungue, hse becoes slave, so has happened with punjabis in Pakistan. Now, in pakistan, all other nations hate punjabis, even punjabis hate their own language as a language of jahils. We need to awake our nation and need to speak Punjabi at homes to make our kids loyal to their mother land because language is the only tie or we will have no reason to love our land. Thanks to my parent for speaking Punjabi at home even they were very highly educated and worked on very high ranks in government.

41. Ashar Hafeez Ghumman says:

42. Nemo says:

I wonder if there is any merit in promoting Punjabi as talked about by msing in his post 'Nemo – Punjabi Style'
    at

43. Nemo says:

at

44. Roop says:

There is merit…it still is one of the top 20 languages of the world

45. Roop says:

There is merit…it still is one of the top 20 languages of the world

46. Hershey kaur says:

I feel that people nowadays are losing their punjabi culture and language itself. For example, recently, we hired a maid from Punjab who has a degree in Punjabi. I am a punjabi school student in Singapore and when I ask her meanings of simple words in Punjabi, she seems to be oblivious to it. It seemingly seems as if the word is alien to her. Upon asking her why her punjabi wasn't good, her reason was that nowadays punjabi is not taught so deeply as how it is in Singapore, and the words we use in Singapore according to her, is olden days, difficult words. What does this show about punjabi in Punjab nowadays? I am astounded. Why is it that the punjabi in Singapore seems to be superseding the punjabi in Punjab itself, where the Punjabi language was actually created and founded. How is this even possible? I see that Singaporeans are trying their utmost best to preserve the Punjabi culture and language in Singapore by sending their children to punjabi school, yet the culture is almost diminishing in punjab itself! This is utterly astonishing.

• H S says:

I know many Punjabi Hindus will jump at it, but I will speak the truth as I see from my eyes and observe things before me in Punjab because I am from Ludhiana.
      You might be knowing that majority of Punjabi Hindus have been registering their mother tongue as Hindi in every census time and again. The flood of incoming Hindi speaking and Hinduism following migrants from other states have been a huge rush, and they are contributing to the dilution in Punjabi Language, both spoken and written, and culture with no regrets. This rush of migrants is continuing, both – naturally for better pastures and due to larger propaganda of RSS and Hindu Nationalists to absorb Punjab. The migrants' population is expected to overtake the native Punjabis' in just few years in nearly all big cities. In recent years BJP has gained high grounds in Punjab and its a staunch follower of just Hindi and Hinduism. It will do all its work, functions, official programs etc in Hindi even though its leaders in Punjab are native Punjabis. One of BJP's native Punjabi leader, Laxmi Kant Chawla the health minister, took oath in Hindi when she was elected. Its a story of lot of hypocrisy which is projected with full confidence and sincerity. Then there are highly powerful and influential Hindu godmen like Ashutosh of DJJS, who has his following in lakhs in Punjab, whose discourses are in Hindi and strongly attracts people to Hindu practices and cultures.

So basically if I were to say the above things in gist then the Hindi and Hindu influence, socially, economically and politically has gain lots of grounds due to which native uninformed and gullible Punjabis, particularly Sikhs, have moved towards Hindi and Hinduism. Its a fact. No wonder this obvious reason would incline Punjabi people to demand Khalistan where their language, religion practices and cultures are not vulnerable from Hindi and Hindus. Any religion, culture and language would just not want to be protected, but would also want to be prospered and increase manifold. That is the reason Sant Bhindranwale, if you didn't know this fact about him, also raised awareness about this thing, which normal person would not care about. Listen to his speeches on youtube if you haven't done so. They are very powerful and would awake a sleeping and gullible Punjabi.

• Sher says:

There we go.. every H S aka Jodha aka Harpreet aka Haroon post has to spew venom against Hindus. really amazing how someone could be so acrimonious against one community while failing to justify that hatred with cold facts.

Hindus registering Hindi… thats a lie, big khalistani lie or shall i say ONLY lie they have been using to beat Hindus with for decades.

Hindi speaking …hinduism following migrants… well the resident Brahm gyani of hate bani H S you are spewing hatred against migrants while forgetting that a very large percentage of sikh population also lives life far from punjab as Migrants.

You expect the host countries to be fair in their treatment of Sikh migrants but want to discriminate against MWs. clear case of hypocrisy and

Also, it is a well-recorded fact that Punjab has to express gratitude to migrant workers to make
        Green revolution a success.

even today, punjab is hopelessly dependent on MWs.

www. thaindian.com/newsportal/feature/migrant-labour-contributing-to-punjabs-prosperity_100289685.html

http://www. outlookindia. com/article.aspx?238080

Also, as usual you have not included pakistani muslims in this jaundiced criticism. almost 70 percent of 'Punjabi' population lives in Pakistan and what is West Punjab's state language??? Urdu. not a single school teaches Punjabi in Pakistan even though nearly 65 percent of population speaks this language. How you can miss such gllaring facts Mian Haroon aka H S?

http:// www. apnaorg.com /articles/safir/psn.html

http://www. gowanusbooks. com/punjabi.htm

There is not a

I do not know about Laxmi Kanta Chawla but know that two Punjabi Hindu politicians Ambika Soni tand Ashwani Kumar ook Rajya Sabha (Upper House of Indian Parliament) took oath in Punjabi.Interestingly, Congress RS member from HARYANA Shadi Lal Batra also took oath in punjabi. on the other hand, there have been numerous cases where sikh politicians have taken oath in Punjabi in other states and no one has complained. so? narrow-mindedness has become hallmark of the Sikh politics and the ongoing exodus from sikhism is direct result of such pakistan-like sectarianism.

http://www. deccanherald. com/content/83941/rs-members-prefer-mother-tongue.html

i can go on basting H S's jaundiced post but time and space constraints stopping me

Sher

• Roop says:

???? ??? ????, ???? ??? ????? ???? ??????? ???????? ??? ??? ?????, ????? ???? ???? ?? ???? ??? ?? ???? ?????? ???????? ??? ???? ????, ?????, ??????? ??? ??????? ??? ???? ??????, ??? ??? ???? ???? ??? ???? ??? ??? ?? ????? ??? ???? ???? ????? ?????? ??, ???? ???? ?????? ?? ????- ??? ?????? ?????? ????? ??, ???? ?????? ?????? ???? ???? ??? ____clik to read rest..

• Roop says:

Don't be surprised Hershey..I am uk born and raised and can actually write in Punjabi..80% of Punjabi readers younger than 50 don't understand my Punjabi words…reason….Hindi and Urdu has infilterated Punjabi…add the same thing that has happned to English since we in UK adapted American Culture…language has been dumbed down for those who don't like thinking…

And if we were suchi muchi proud punjabi vich bolan likhan, phir daso is website Gurmukhi jaan Shahmukhi'ch kio nahi?

Assi khud english vartday haan…

• Roop says:

punjabi language has become like the girl protagonist in my story below…the chacha is the punjabi/an who is defiling it…

see next entry I have to split

47. Hershey kaur says:

• H S says:

• Sher says:

Green revolution a success.

even today, punjab is hopelessly dependent on MWs.

http://www. outlookindia. com/article.aspx?238080

http:// www. apnaorg.com /articles/safir/psn.html

http://www. gowanusbooks. com/punjabi.htm

There is not a

Sher

• Roop says:

Assi khud english vartday haan…

• Roop says:

see next entry I have to split

• Roop says:

48. Dosanjh says:

"and the words we use in Singapore according to her, is olden days, difficult words. "
    ^ My sentiments exactly, Hershey Kaur. I'm born in the UK to parents who were also born in the UK and whenever we visit Punjab my relatives are amazed and shocked by the Punjabi words I use in my sentiments. They smile when they hear my words and remark how they remember their grandparents used to use those same words but they haven't heard anybody use them in the last decade or so. As I said before….us Sikhs who live in countries away from India are the true guardians of the Punjabi language.

49. Dosanjh says:

My feeling is that we Sikhs that don't live in India will safeguard the Punjabi language in the same way that the Americans safeguarded and remained true to the English language. What I mean by this is that when the English first took the English language to America that language from England included words such as 'gotten'…'pants'…'diapers' etc. Since then however, the language in England started to incorporate many French and Gaeilic words into the English langauge. So much so that the word for pants became the Scots Gaelic word of 'trousers'. The Americans however, remained true to the English language. And now, centuries later, via movies and popular culture, those original words are coming back to the country they started from. We will see the same phenonema with Punjabi. The Punjabis in Punjab will one day learn Punjabi from s London, Toronto and California born Punjabis.

• Roop says:

Quite possible Dosanjh…but a major requirement is we speak and communicate in our Punjabi, and learn to read and write in it, and that is key, so we can produce our own literature, like the Yanks did, as I have said before, that is what my Punjabi writings are about,,I am the only UK born SIngh who writes in Punjabi at moment…we need more

• Dosanjh says:

Thats excellent Roop. I'll be honest, I can't read or write Punjabi. I only speak it fluently. But…to my defence I don't think there's ever been anyone in my family that can read or write Punjabi. My parents, like me, are UK born and only speak it fluently, and my granparents and their parents before them were complete 'un-padhs'…unable to read or write. Therefore, I'm sure you'll understand why I hold oral Punjabi more important than the written word. But going back to my earlier point and bearing in mind what I have just said, and staying closer to home, perhaps the example in Wales and the Welsh language is more apt to the current situation with Punjabi in Punjab. A couple of decades ago, when the number of Welsh speakers in Wales reached alarmingly low levels, the UK government brought in descendants of Welsh immigrants in the Patagonia region of Argentina. These Argentinians of Welsh heritage were brought to the UK to teach Welsh to the Welsh. I honestly believe the day will come when my children, your children, and Sikhs from all over North America will go to Punjab and teach Punjabis Punjabi.

• KattadPunjabi says:

"…I'm sure you'll understand why I hold oral Punjabi more important than the written word…"

Dosanjh,
          being literate in gurmukhi, I can attest that this script very accurately captures the oral/ verbal punjabi; so you can study gurmukhi script if you want and not be concerned about losing accents etc in the transmission.
          And what happened with replenishing the welsh in uk may not happen in punjab( our politicos do not care!)

50. Dosanjh says:

51. Dosanjh says:

• Roop says:

• Dosanjh says:

• KattadPunjabi says:

Dosanjh,

52. hershey kaur says:

I agree with you Donsanjh. But don't you think it's rather ironic? I mean, look around Punjab nowadays? Everyone is so modernised and westernised that you almost see very little punjabi culture left in the people. When I went to Punjab, I saw that Punjabis start to speak Hindi. Though, what you say is true, don't you think that if Punjab itself were to lose their language, then it'll become even harder to keep our language in foreign countries. For example, we punjabis ourselves came from Punjab, and in order to keep our culture, we depend greatly on punjabi migrants. However, if these punjabi migrants were to start speaking English, and less of Punjabi, what will our future generation speak? Also, I'm not only talking about the language itself. I am also talking about Sikhism as a religion. I see the trend of many sikhs nowadays converting to other religions. Especially, in Singapore, where so many youths nowadays, don't even know their own religion, even in Punjabi School, where I study Punjabi. This is appalling.

• KattadPunjabi says:

hi hershey, i know it feels ironic. however it is the nature of people to emulate/imitate progressive people. they are more than willing to ditch their mother culture to associate with those of 'higher class'. Latin americans are one such example. Another example is urban indians(of all kind) who kept doing things in english even after independence since the system left by the masters(british) showed results, and the masters spoke english. The movie 'monsoon wedding' showed that the trend is still in place.
      punjabis do not really have much to show for their culture, whereas hindi-speakers have bollywood and all kind of tv shows. our political leaders are too busy keeping their hold on power and the religious leaders are busy playing divide and rule policy on us. so punjabis start using hindi to guess what – associate themselves with progressive people. The same goes as regards to their attitude towards sikhism (and hinduism). They don't know sikhism 'cause nobody teaches it to them. all I hear from our elders/leaders is how hindus are doing this and that bad things to us. Please see next comment for continuation

• kattadPunjabi says:

ok enough complaining. The solution is to come up with 'cool' stuff in our overall culture, including literature, arts, visual arts, games etc. It is the nature of young people to associate themselves with 'cool' things and people doing cool stuff, and as they get older they stick to that. how 'bout a video game in punjabi? how about a project involving wild animals in punjab done in punjabi. That is what will get the results we want. more on this later.
      I think roop, and some other people who are already doing something about this should be greatly supported. i am yet to look at any of their works. I should be doing that. i am bookmarking this page and will be going through all their works regularly. Rab Raakhaa

• Hershey kaur says:

I agree, we need something to attract punjabis to love their language, not move towards other languages. I think it's time we step up and make a change, because if we don't, then who will? If we don't, probably in our future generations, what our Guru's set up for us would be almost non-exisistent. We can't let that happen. I believe one of the key reasons why youths nowadays turn away from sikhism is because they do not understand it, since sggs is written in punjabi (in fact, very deep punjabi)Therefore, we need to touch on the root of the problem, and that is punjabi. I do feel that we are already doing our utmost to teach punjabi, like we have punjabi schools, and punjabi tuition. All we need is that push factor. Like what you said, maybe games or projects or maybee even a bhangra or giddha course. Anything that teaches punjabis their culture, and makes them appreciate it.